Friday, August 17, 2018

A Funny Thing Happened On Our Way To The ER

You know, for the past few days, I have been dealing with medication issues.  At 71, I have been so blessed to be on only one prescription drug - blood pressure.  It runs rampant in my family.  Recently, my prescription no longer works.  I hate drugs and for other health reasons need to stay away from as many as I possibly can.  I take lots of herbs and vitamins for prevention, exercise, drink lots of water and try to be cautious of what I eat.  

I refuse to be that old lady who sits with friends and discusses her doctor appointments, prescription drugs and side effects while waiting for my next meal.  Had to make an emergency run to the hospital when my blood pressure went over 200; elevated 30 points in just half an hour.

We decided to make an emergency run to an Emergency Room about 10:00 pm.  My husband was concerned about some road construction so we took and alternate route.  Just minutes after using our detour, there was a single head light looming on the horizon.  As we got closer, Steven slowed down realizing the light was stationary.

In my travels, I have had the opportunity to drive through some harrowing situations and this brought one to mind.  A time when going through the Appalacian's,  I had to pass through an area where people were putting things in the road (fires, trees, effigy figures) to stop cars for the purpose of robbery.  This came to my mind.  I was uncomfortable with him stopping and slowing down was giving me concern - just from a past memory.  We are in a rural area that has never had such an issue.  Funny how our minds work.

As we approached the light, it became obvious that it was one working headlight on a car that was stopped with the entire front looking like a wadded piece of tin foil.  There was a young couple in the road behind the car, pacing with a flashlight.  We stopped to inquire of the situation.  They had no phone, the young woman was in early stages of pregnancy and had blood on her.  She was in shock and ranting about a rented car, hitting a cow and what they would do about the car.  The young man was pacing with her, scanning her with the flashlight for cuts and she kept saying she was pregnant but that she was "okay".  It is only providence of God that I had my phone with me.  


My husband's phone is for work use only and he left it on his desk at home.  I only turn mine on when away from home so he can reach me.  Seldom do I carry it if I am with Steven.  I called 911 emergency and reached a town 45 miles away.  It took awhile to get reconnected to the correct county, decide what county road we were on, what was the closest EMT, exactly where we were and establish the fact that we were not the victims but rather on our way to the ER for help ourselves.  Can you believe this?  My husband was getting stressed but I found it to be quite amusing.   All I could think was, "Something strange happened on our way to the ER".  Soon, other vehicles approached with phones, willingness to help and more knowledge of the area than we had.  We were soon back to our personal objective.

Long story short, we spent several hours at the ER with a wonderful nurse and an amazing D.O. who was 75 years old.  I love old family doctors.  They are the real knowledge -   Too few and far between.  I am adjusting to new medication while being monitored and feel there was a reason we were on that road at that time on that night.  Prayers are sent up for that couple - who did not show up at the hospital we went to.  

What was God up to?  Others were on that same road with phones.  We were the first to arrive - on our own emergency mission.  Why did that couple not have a phone?  I thought everyone but Steven and I had phones.  That exact place and time came together.  We will never know their names or see them again.   I wonder about the young woman and her unborn baby.  My heart goes out; she was in obvious shock.  Was it a test for us to stop?  Was it a test for someone else on that road that night?  We could have been minutes earlier and hit the cow ourselves.  We never know but God is always aware and close.  He shields and protects His children.

I am confused about His reasoning but God is good.
Amen

P.S.  It was a cow - a large one and she was dead.

No comments:

Post a Comment