Monday, October 1, 2018

We Are His Children


I don't know who created this image but I dearly love it.  (I hope there is no copyright penalty for using it.  If I knew the artist, I would give them full credit.  It was on the inter net so I assume it is for public use.)

As someone who was an abused child, I give great meaning to this scene.  Let's consider this image together.  

The child has a most content look on his/her face.  We don't know if this is a boy or a girl so we understand anyone can relate.  I see "child" in this little person:  the shy, the playful, the innocent.  He/she is very comfortable.  There is no fear.  They are happy to have all the attention placed solely on them at this moment; reveling in the company.  

I believe this is how our loving Heavenly Father intends for us to feel:  safe, secure, trusting, confident, doted on - loved.   He wants us to accept His Son as our atonement, the sacrifice paid for us.  We can feel clean and free to allow Him in anytime.

Then, there is Jesus.  His hands folded and space between him and the child.  No threat here.  He is not invading the child's space.  He is not even reaching out to the child.  There is genuine interest in His expression.  He is totally in the moment: there is only Him and this little child.  He makes no pretense to be anything other than the simple and humble person that He is.  His figure towers over the child but is not overwhelming - does not threaten but, rather, seems protective.

This is my Savior.  He is not pushy.  He does not come in to me unless I ask Him to.  He never forces Himself.  He respects my space and my choices; right or wrong.  I am free to make those choices with confidence He will be available if I need Him for advice, shelter or forgiveness.  He dotes on me and wants only to help, to see me safe, happy and healthy doing His will.

They are sitting on solid rock, surrounded by rock; symbolic of the strength of Jesus as the cornerstone of life; our security for eternal life. 

Notice the light that surrounds the head of Jesus.  Halo?  Light of the world?  Light in the darkness?  All of the above.

Notice also the vine around the stalk.  Jesus is the vine.  He is the stalk and we are the branches.

There was a lot of thought and planning put into the structure of this image.  God put a lot of planning into His master plan for us.  Jesus is the central part of that plan.

   Now, take a look at this scene:


The child has consented to sit on the lap of Jesus, in his hands and we see from his/her posture there is no fear.  The child is relaxed, at ease, content, feeling safe and happy.  

Jesus is smiling, happy to have us secure within his hands.  He is offering happiness and safety.  This is a confident man.  No one would dare confront Him to take us away now that we have consented to accept Him.  We are His and He is ours.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment